And so a quick word here to mark the final gig of the decade for my dear friends, Rob The Rich.
A year ago, I had no idea this band existed. But what a pleasure it has been to see these gentlemen (for they truly are Gentle Men) grow and develop in ways no-one would have thought possible. I recall not my first encounter with their music -- was it that sweaty upstairs room at New Hero, so many months ago, probably only memorable because of a vague recollection of whispering sweet (or sour) nothings into Lizzie's ear for a large portion of it? Well, whenever it was, it can't have made too much of an impression...
...but one year on, and I have impressions aplenty. We have impressions aplenty. You see, these gents have built up a rather loyal following. And last night, all the faces were there. There seemed a time, summertime, in fact, when the faces were together several times a week. Alack, winter set in, everyone went back to uni, or got jobs, and the flower children settled down. But the fact that we had gathered together once again gave this, the final gig of the decade, an added sense of occasion. The mixture of old classics and new, joyous ditties provided a nice counterpoint and highlighted the sheer magnificence of the new direction this band is going in.
There was something in the thick, sweaty, fecund atmosphere of The Hope last e'en that, I think, all the faces felt. There was a sense of an ending, but one entirely devoid of sorrow or loss. This was a culmination, a conclusion of a chapter that would inevitably lead into something greater and even more electrifying. For everyone.
Early memories; they are the abiding ones. I think we shall all remember for a long, long time.
Peace xx
About Me
Thursday, 10 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment